Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Thing 15: Libraries and Games

Considering the basic stance that most librarians take against censorship, I think gaming fits right in. When at a public library people are able to find books of any subject (whether other people find them objectionable or not), movies of all kinds, DVD's of TV shows, music, even pictures and puppets. Once the Internet, in all of its unregulated glory, was provided to the public in the library, what people choose to participate in is really up to them.

Honestly, I don't get them. I also don't get science fiction. I never got into comic books (in my day) and have no admiration of graphic novels. Pac man never interested me and, with the vast improvement of graphics, I find I don't much like the Pirates or the adventures of made-up people. Gaming is another avenue for people to interact, create, pretend, escape, and more. Is it for everybody? No. Is it wrong? No. Does it promote violence? Not anymore than professional wrestling, boxing, football, fencing, or even chess does. (Aren' they basically all war games?)
Does it hurt anyone? Not according to the myths debunked on the PBS show. Will I ever really understand it? Probably not, but I can live with that, and I can live with tweens and teens and young adults who find it facinating and enjoyable. Even in the public library.

No comments: