Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing 20: Libraries and Social Networks

I created a myspace page, which really does not have a lot to say, so apparently I am as shy on the internet as I am in person. I can see the value in the social networking, especially as a way of keeping in touch with people, especially over time. I know both of my college-aged children use myspace, and I can imagine their surprise when they find their mother as one of their friends! I can see how it can be a way to feel connected to a group, but I can also imagine it can be just as isolating as real life because you can always be comparing yourself to the "popular crowd".
The thing about being able to type anything and have it posted immediately is that it makes boundaries invisible. Yes, you have a choice of being more private, but you have to edit the page to do so. The default is to include everything. I can see how this form of communication is best used by mature, discriminating audiences. Unfortunately it can be open to anyone with an email account.

No comments: